With A Face To The Wind...

"A man is what he thinks of all day long." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A call? Maybe just spamming people?

So, if anyone I know out there knows of people in the soil science or civil/geological engineering or geologist fields, who happens to be looking for a job, please send them info so they can contact me. Have I mentioned we're understaffed at work?

In related news:

http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/sarredirect/

In case you had ever wondered what endangered or threatened species were in your area. This is one more example of the cool things I find while at work.

As well, I've noticed something at work. There are a million available people to sub-contract all sorts of stuff out to. Except possibly biological and ecological impact studies. Every other field involved in major projects seems to have a long list that's hit me already of people I could call to get things DONE. The list for people on wildlife and fish? Very short, and hard to arrange into a project time schedule, and all sorts of other things.

Maybe the list of people available and wanting to contract out their services is just as long and I just haven't heard of them yet. But thus far, after going through a bunch of assessments, paperwork, etc... it seems to me that biologists and ecologists don't market themselves very well.

It's not that, I, for example, wouldn't want their input into projects, or wouldn't *love* (or beg or plead or spam the internet to get) to have people to call up and run stuff by so I know whether it warrants further investigation (even if it's not required by law to have it). I do this on other aspects of projects. It's part of being thorough. And, it's not like I couldn't pass that on to the client, easily (because, really, a couple thousand now as extra butt-covering in case of future upsets is money well spent on a project, and not a heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things). It's that it seems there isn't enough people with their name out there for me to find out who to talk to, other than governmental agencies (who I usually need the information to give to in the first place, rather than being able to get it -from- them).

Does anyone want to tell me where to find people in southern Alberta to talk to about this sort of thing? People with experience? Or heck, even competent people -period-.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home