Interupption of the lollyblogging.
So, updates in the absence of attention to my blog.
Caught the plague, either from my boss or the girls when they visited from Edmonton. I have not been that sick in a very long time, and missed three days of work. I was much annoyed, for it was a poorly timed illness (of course). In spite of that, I still went out and judged the junior high and high school science fair competitions. There was a mini-hovercraft made out of a plywood plank and a leaf blower. I’m inspired. *^_^* Those kids are pretty darned smart, and only increased my desire to tinker around with things in my basement.
I did a lot of reading while I was sick ('cause that's about all I could do). I re-read Terry Pratchett’s ‘The Truth’, and finished the first two booka of Octavia E. Butler’s Xenogenesis series. All of which are entirely brilliant, in their own way.
Since then, have been running around like a mad fool. The stuff for the ammonite mine project is done until the fall now. The superintendent was cool and sent (along with the pictures we asked for for the report) a picture of one of the ammonite fossils they just found down there. Which is to say, a picture of a rock that’s been split open, and containing within a fossil about the size of my face, done all in dark jewel tones of nearly every colour in the rainbow. I stared at the picture for a solid couple minutes at first, whilest my little thievish heart flailed about inside, totally high, screaming “I want it! I wants it SOOOOOoooo much!” It was pretty damn cool.
I’m currently getting drawn into a few more cool projects, though nothing so unusual as ammonite mines with dinosaurs in them. But I’m very excited, as they’re both large and interesting projects.
My First Aid courses are at the end of this week, which means I’ll be able to do the job site and soil testing field work on my own now. The lab people promised to call me when they were going out to play with more dirt.
M and I have been hanging out again some, though not much recently. Childrens with ear infections take presidence, which I completely understand.
I also need to kick my addiction to growing things. The amount I’ve spent on plants and garden stuff is approaching silliness. Even considering that I have a whole house *and* an office to turn green. Houseplants are really cheap when everyone else is occupied with bedding plants and shrubberies. The snow has me most perturbed – I had planned to plant the garden this weekend. Instead, I get a foot of snow. Bloody weather. I’ll have to wait ‘til late next week now, especially seeing as it needs tilling (due to many years of neglect – sad).
But right now life is good. I have stirfry - the kitten approves of my recent obsession of cooking with ham. I have a decent red wine, which might actually cause my brain to shut the fsnucking up long enough to do the few chores I need to do before bed. I have new classical music from the library. I just finished Pratchett’s “Soul Music”, which is The Awesome. I miss people though. Life isn’t quite the same without interesting conversation (just for the sake of interesting conversation). If any of you get a moment and are inspired to call me, I’d welcome it.
That is all.
Caught the plague, either from my boss or the girls when they visited from Edmonton. I have not been that sick in a very long time, and missed three days of work. I was much annoyed, for it was a poorly timed illness (of course). In spite of that, I still went out and judged the junior high and high school science fair competitions. There was a mini-hovercraft made out of a plywood plank and a leaf blower. I’m inspired. *^_^* Those kids are pretty darned smart, and only increased my desire to tinker around with things in my basement.
I did a lot of reading while I was sick ('cause that's about all I could do). I re-read Terry Pratchett’s ‘The Truth’, and finished the first two booka of Octavia E. Butler’s Xenogenesis series. All of which are entirely brilliant, in their own way.
Since then, have been running around like a mad fool. The stuff for the ammonite mine project is done until the fall now. The superintendent was cool and sent (along with the pictures we asked for for the report) a picture of one of the ammonite fossils they just found down there. Which is to say, a picture of a rock that’s been split open, and containing within a fossil about the size of my face, done all in dark jewel tones of nearly every colour in the rainbow. I stared at the picture for a solid couple minutes at first, whilest my little thievish heart flailed about inside, totally high, screaming “I want it! I wants it SOOOOOoooo much!” It was pretty damn cool.
I’m currently getting drawn into a few more cool projects, though nothing so unusual as ammonite mines with dinosaurs in them. But I’m very excited, as they’re both large and interesting projects.
My First Aid courses are at the end of this week, which means I’ll be able to do the job site and soil testing field work on my own now. The lab people promised to call me when they were going out to play with more dirt.
M and I have been hanging out again some, though not much recently. Childrens with ear infections take presidence, which I completely understand.
I also need to kick my addiction to growing things. The amount I’ve spent on plants and garden stuff is approaching silliness. Even considering that I have a whole house *and* an office to turn green. Houseplants are really cheap when everyone else is occupied with bedding plants and shrubberies. The snow has me most perturbed – I had planned to plant the garden this weekend. Instead, I get a foot of snow. Bloody weather. I’ll have to wait ‘til late next week now, especially seeing as it needs tilling (due to many years of neglect – sad).
But right now life is good. I have stirfry - the kitten approves of my recent obsession of cooking with ham. I have a decent red wine, which might actually cause my brain to shut the fsnucking up long enough to do the few chores I need to do before bed. I have new classical music from the library. I just finished Pratchett’s “Soul Music”, which is The Awesome. I miss people though. Life isn’t quite the same without interesting conversation (just for the sake of interesting conversation). If any of you get a moment and are inspired to call me, I’d welcome it.
That is all.
Labels: Updates

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home