With A Face To The Wind...

"A man is what he thinks of all day long." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Not quite your top ten lists...

Ten, nope, thirteen things I like about the relocation thus far:

1. I have a crabapple tree in my yard! Possibly more than one. Downside: many mushy apples left over from the fall that I don’t want to rot in my yard, and thus have to clean up. Upside – in fall, many many many large crabapples.

2. The night we arrived, I laid in my sleeping bag, on my room floor, with two very freaked out cats and looked up out my window, and *could see stars*.

3. The deer that walked through my front yard shortly before lunchtime.

4. The washer and dryer work! Yes, this doesn’t sound like a big deal, but in no place that I’ve lived for the past couple years has there been a time where both of them worked properly.

5. Cable internet! Not the illusion of cable internet, slowed through the two floors of concrete and crappy reception. I actually have a download speed. Neat!

6. Air that smells like actual outdoors, of trees and gardens and wet earth and morning.

7. The fact that I know I can host MeCon here, and that there is suitable space for a variety of games to be run. Given the LARGE empty crawlspace, I request Cthulu or Mage or something freaky.

8. That the worst casualties of the move were a few fish and my can opener. Really, all things considered, I can live with that. And yes, somehow, the pleco is still alive. I just don’t understand it.

9. The amazing amount of help I got from my parents, and without either one of them making me want to strangle them. I’m stunned, and very thankful.

10. The cool and undauntable Moe. Crazy man that he is, has helped me move –three times-. Even having learned how much stuff I have, he still shows up, and I love him for it. He did say that I’ve used up my quota of moving help from him for the next while, but that’s okay. I don’t plan on going anywhere any time soon.

11. The fact that in spite of my parents having been here at least as long as I have, this place feels like it’s mine. Already. I don’t jump at weird house noises. I don’t worry about where stuff is, or if it’s broken, or anything. I would claim a heightened maturity at this lack of worry, but I think it has more to do with the fact that this is the first relocation in years that wasn’t forced by some circumstance or another. This is the first one that I –chose-. I got offered this job and accepted it, I looked for a place and picked this one (and not because it was the only livable option, or only option at all), I decided where everything was going, on what I was taking and leaving behind. I’m not juggling anyone else’s preferences or needs, just mine. It leaves me feeling so light I’m almost dizzy.

12. There is a DQ about 6 blocks from my house, and I sense impending weekend morning walks for sundaes. Possibly barefoot.

13. Being able to navigate in a new town without a map or specific directions. I hate maps. I dispise them. And don’t even get me started on people giving directions.


Ten, nope, seven things that I dislike about the relocation thus far:


1. My front door doesn’t lock, and is currently blocked by close to the entire contents of my bookshelf. I’m frankly displeased about this, dispite the fact that there is actually less chance of someone getting in through the front door with the books there vs any lock that can be installed in a normal residential door.
2. The amount of vacuuming that needs doing. I like living in a relatively un-lived-in house, but it means that there is a lot of dust in places I want to store stuff or let the cats go, and it means that a lot of stuff that needed fixing hasn’t been noticed or dealt with. Mostly just stuff like lightbulbs and outside motion sensors and little stuff like that, but some of it really just bugs me. I mean, the bathroom door is supposed to shut, right? Without trapping you in the bathroom?
3. The lack of thought to basic safety. Why do people not have a concept of this? Houses need smoke detectors, and they need light fixtures without flickering and dubious connections. How is this hard to grasp?
4. The amount of trauma caused to my two dear fuzzy compatriots. I have not yet been forgiven, not quite. The car ride was unpleasant. And loud. And lacking in music. But the howling did keep me awake, I guess.
5. Having a door to the outside with a lever handle. Cats and small children can open those. Gah. I’m glad I’m in the habit of locking it all the time anyways.
6. Having my big living room windows –directly- across from someone else’s big living room windows. Makes me feel weird about the thought of bellydancing in my living room.
7. The evangelical Christian sticker on my door. Really, even though it's in error, I don't like it advertising to anyone who might come to my door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home