Ach, sore again.
So, I’ve been playing violin again intermittently for the last month, whenever my neck and shoulder can stand it. After the long hiatus caused by my car accident and the ensuing whiplash, I don’t have the right amounts of the right muscles to do what I used to, and my muscle memory doesn’t have the same capacity to do what it used to. Bloody annoying, it is.
The upside to this is that I’ve had to start back at the beginning when practicing. Yes, all the way back to posture and wrist position, etc… because it’s all messed up. As annoying as this is, I think it’s going to turn out to be incredibly useful if it doesn’t drive me up the wall first, because it means I have the chance to really correct a lot of the things I sucked at that were joint/position related, like my bowing. Starting from the beginning also means that I’m going crazy trying to find something else to work on while my muscles adjust, so I’ve been slowly fixing my lousy sense of rhythm and in a bit. I’ll also get the chance to work on some of the more interesting techniques I’d never bothered with before, just because it’ll a break from the monotonous basic stuff.
Going through every old lesson and test along the way does, however, mean that Mr. Paganini and I will meet again. Oh, yes, we will meet again. I *hate* Paganini, most passionately. It was the bane of my progress as a violinist, and I do –not- look forward to making myself master those short pieces again. Snarg!
I really do need daily practice though (and not just because I currently suck), or to go out to the Symphony a lot more than I do, or something. The really depressive phases of my life have always been the ones absent of music, because I was too busy, or no live music or instruments were readily available, or because of illness of some sort. Recorded music isn’t the same, somehow. But I need to play. I’m no good at expressing myself in words, apparently, just sometimes in notes, and all healthy people need some form of self-expression.
My form, apparently, bruises my fingers when overdone. How… appropriate.
The upside to this is that I’ve had to start back at the beginning when practicing. Yes, all the way back to posture and wrist position, etc… because it’s all messed up. As annoying as this is, I think it’s going to turn out to be incredibly useful if it doesn’t drive me up the wall first, because it means I have the chance to really correct a lot of the things I sucked at that were joint/position related, like my bowing. Starting from the beginning also means that I’m going crazy trying to find something else to work on while my muscles adjust, so I’ve been slowly fixing my lousy sense of rhythm and in a bit. I’ll also get the chance to work on some of the more interesting techniques I’d never bothered with before, just because it’ll a break from the monotonous basic stuff.
Going through every old lesson and test along the way does, however, mean that Mr. Paganini and I will meet again. Oh, yes, we will meet again. I *hate* Paganini, most passionately. It was the bane of my progress as a violinist, and I do –not- look forward to making myself master those short pieces again. Snarg!
I really do need daily practice though (and not just because I currently suck), or to go out to the Symphony a lot more than I do, or something. The really depressive phases of my life have always been the ones absent of music, because I was too busy, or no live music or instruments were readily available, or because of illness of some sort. Recorded music isn’t the same, somehow. But I need to play. I’m no good at expressing myself in words, apparently, just sometimes in notes, and all healthy people need some form of self-expression.
My form, apparently, bruises my fingers when overdone. How… appropriate.
Labels: Happy Creatures

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home