With A Face To The Wind...

"A man is what he thinks of all day long." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Stupid neighbors...

So, last night I was treated to a rendition of 'See how loud we can turn our music up and sing drunkenly to it? We can turn the knob until the stuff on your table starts vibrating and rattling from the base!' from my downstairs neighbors. I was only inches away from phoning the resident manager and/or the cops with a noise complaint when I remembered that I could always take revenge with my super un-patented 'Spite loud neighbors by vacuuming at length at 7AM Sunday morning' solution to rude neighbors.

That being said, I didn't wake up angry, and slept soundly once they stumbled crashing around the bathroom and out the door at sometime past midnight. So I didn't actually drag my rear out of bed this morning to vacuum on top of their heads. I wish. I mourn the opportunity to be a bitch, with justification. But the PTB help them, if they do it again, I don't care if it's a work day or not, I will vacuum on top of their heads at 6AM if need be. .... I can just picture the look on my roommates face, sticking his head out his bedroom door with a WTUnholyLivingF??? look on his face that I know I earn occasionally. :)

Segue from the urge to messily devour my neighbors alive, to the creepiness that are fish in an aquarium messily devouring one another alive. ~shudders~ I don't know why I find it so unsettling to watch fish gnaw at each other, but I really do. The reason for this particular jump in ramblings is, well - Belladonna, I got another angelfish to keep the one I got from you company. I was at a pet store, saw an angelfish that was 2 - 2.5 inches tall (?) and brought it home. And then went, aw shit, I hope this isn't going to just wind up being a sacrifical offering to the beast I see sitting in my tank right now. Which it was. Poor new fish, I hardly knew ye! I didn't realize how huge the one I have already is! Even without some of the longer tips of it's fins, it's the size of my bloody palm. It's destroyed half of the long bamboo shoots I put in the tank as vegetation and eaten the new angelfish. Thus, it's the only thing in the tank right now other than Jeff, the foot long pleco(everything else having been moved to safety long ago). I think it needs a name. A name for a vicious, territorial beastie.

What else? Still worried about the T's, with having moved to Saskatoon and finding such unlivable conditions there. Not much I can do here though, sitting in AB, broke and wishing I could find some way to help.

On a random note from trying to relax last night - the awesomest, most romantic sappy love song ever is "Not too much to ask" by Mary Chapin Carpenter and Joe Diffie. Normally, I'm not a big fan of the sappy romantic songs, but this one has enough nostalgia and perfect lyrics and no bad baggage attached to it for me. Maybe it's because for all it's sappiness and romanticism, the lyrics/meaning are so damn sensible in the long run. I'm such a sucker for clever&practical. I'm like the ultimate anti-romantic. Heh. I shouldn't probably be proud of that, but hey - if you can't change it, you might as well run with it.

On a more literary note, I've found my newest favorite passage, that puts into words some of my frustration with a lot of the attitudes of city living. A new acquaintance of mine pointed out that every generation has it's stresses and strains, and different difficulties from the last generation. But still...

"As mammals, we are homeostatic. That means we maintain certain constant balances within our bodies, temperature for example, by adapting to change and challenge in the environment. Strength and flexibility allow us to keep an inner balance, but man is trying more and more to dominate the environment rather than control himself. Central heating, air conditioning, cars that we take out to drive three hundred yards, towns that stay lit up all night, and food imported from around the world out of season are all examples of how we try to circumvent our duty to adapt to nature and instead force nature to adapt to us. In the process, we become both weak and brittle." - B.K.S. Iyengar

Now, it's not that I have a specific problem with any of the examples mentioned above (except maybe the driving of very short distances when it isn't completely freezing outside)... it's simply that I don't see them as necessities, or even something normal. I don't get why people freak out about staying in a building that isn't air conditioned, because 'they get all sweaty and uncomfortable'. That's life. Life is occasionally uncomfortable. People are sweaty. Live with it! It's not disgusting and abnormal, the pre-conditioned and sterile attitudes of prissy brittle people are. ~grumblegrumblemuttermutter~ Or did that rant just label me as a big hippie?

Gosh I'm ranty today. Maybe I should blame the recent influx of intelligent conversation. Wait, nah. It's just me.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Rednecked Rabbit said…

    Having your pets eat eachother is really disturbing. My mice tend to canibalize their dead (Shudder).

    Also I'm totally with you on the practical&clever over overtly romantic. It lasts longer.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Obviously, it's not an angelfish, it's a transmogrified Minbari Battle Cruiser... I would dub this aquatic avenger Delinn :)

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger xenophile said…

    Neighbours are annoying. You should poke them with sticks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home